Sunday 18 August 2013

WE KNOW BUT WE DON’T KNOW.

Leave a Comment
Quite a few years have passed when I pledged to follow a minimum programme that I call “Empower the Good”. This programme demanded that I support in whatever way it was possible, at least a few self less efforts of others that were being made by them for some good of their immediate surroundings.  The precondition was that the intentions must be prompted and guided by the principle of ‘Cause no harm’. I have been reasonably consistent with my programme for past several years.

What made me think of “Empower the Good”?
It was a long experience of having been always left alone in my efforts towards thinking and acting selflessly for the good of my immediate surroundings. I believed that even my small efforts to help build a ‘critical mass’, (I think the expression should actually be ‘critical energy level’.) would be meaningful and hence supportive to my personal growth.


What perplexes me is that after having thought of the idea of empowering the good and having practiced it in my own modest ways for a few years I am still lead to catch 22 situations, if not frequently than at least, occasionally.
Very recently I could identify a big flaw in my approach and could learn a lesson that to my great surprise was well known to me. This helped me to realize how much we lack in applying the knowledge we possess.

I thought of sharing my experience with others, considering it as part of my duty under my programme of empowering the good. I will try to narrate a small incident that lead me to a catch 22 situation. Behavioural decency demands that I confine myself to the basic content of the situation without going into peripheral details.

There was a certain situation in which a well intentioned individual had been trapped for a long time. His immediate surrounding possessing many desires influenced the said individual to act only in his own interest because when he acted only in his interest the desires of his immediate surroundings were also satisfied. The said individual was well aware of the fact that acting in his own interest harmed many others, who never deserved and could hardly afford that kind of harm. This caused much friction between him and his surroundings.

The situation narrated above is not very unusual in our society. Without going into the reasons there for, we can say that a very beautiful concept of togetherness which can give strength to individuals to help develop a just society that protects and sustain human values; is being used and abused for furthering narrow selfish interests.

The said individual with good intentions is my friend and our bonding is not for serving mutual interest. It just exists, perhaps to provide some emotional support to each other. I therefore, stood by him to empower him to move on the right path he was well aware of. To my great surprise, more strength he gained to follow the right path more polluted the environment became. We all know that, just as we have water pollution or air pollution, we also have social pollution. It affects all, the young and the aged, the close relationships as well as distant ones. Due to this kind of pollution the genuine is tossed away and sham prevails.


There is a proverb in Hindi that says, “If you deal in coal it is bound to dirty your hands.” Many saints also suggest not making efforts to set right the world but to concentrate only on setting one right.
I for one could never appreciate this theory. We are social beings and use our society for our survival. If we do not think of it, who will?
I was becoming shaky. “What I have been doing in the name of empowering the good? Was I a party to strengthening social pollution?” I knew it was only me who had to find the answer.

And, I got the answer. I told myself, “You want to see that the good be empowered; but, why you should think of the good was being empowered through YOU only?” I thought, “Why should I nurse a desire to be instrumental for the cause of the good?”
I realized that any desire for action germinates with an ‘inherent nature of self destruction’. I realized that I could exercise control on my actions but I just cannot do anything with its twin, the inherent nature of self destruction.

I had some knowledge of ‘Nishkama Karma or Akarma’, but just like the cursed warrior Karna, I also could not use my own knowledge.
As against this, the Charioteer of Arjuna was capable of handling the twin desire of self annihilation

All lessons have to be relearned many times, surrendering to the Ultimate Charioteer. There is no alternative or substitute for this.

**********************************



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Blogger Widgets