Thursday 18 June 2015

VAGDEVI SPIRITUAL PROCESS [#15030] READING AND WRITING

Leave a Comment
In this chapter, I wish to share some of my experiences from my childhood days till date. The first book I remember to have ‘listened’ to have been a small story book meant for children at the age of four. My mother read it out to me in one sitting. It was quite a job for me, not for her. I had to listen to each word carefully and understand its meaning as well as that of the entire sentence. The language was very different from what I was used to in my daily life. The book was titled as ‘Natkhat Nandu’, i.e. naughty Nandu. It was about a naughty boy, interacting with his family members, school friends, school teachers, shopkeepers, elders from his neighbourhood and many others. It was about a boy that was elder to me and was very different from me. I could not place myself anywhere in the book, thereby engaging my imagination.  However, the satisfaction of listening to a full book was very great. Thanks to my father, I started reading stories and story books very early in my life. In next 5-6 years I also started attempting writing a few things.


I found reading helped me to go deeper in the subject and could engage me longer than any of the oral instruction or information I received. I liked the freedom of going back to the book any time for further clarification. Soon I learned to enrich my books with more information by jotting down small notes with a pencil at convenient places in the book about what I learned from outside the book, particularly the things that were not given in the book. Later, I started pasting some blank pages at the end of the book to maintain my notes on the matters related to the book. I admit that I gave such treatment only to the books that were on subjects that I was interested in. It did not include the books related to my formal education.  As such, it is not my intention to deal with things related to my formal education. Here, I am concerned about the things related to the psychological and social life of the human beings.

Reading, rolling over what has been read, deeply pondering over what has been read, trying to understand what has been read through real life experiences and trying to analyze real life experiences with the help of what has been read was the process that got well imbibed into my way of life. I think, my habit of reading helped this process to a great extent. I did not read as much as many others do, but I gained much from what I read. From a small story book, ‘Natkhat Nandu’ to ‘Ishopanishad’ with only eighteen mantras; I did not travel very far but the journey had been rather satisfying to me.

Coming to writing, I wrote much till about 1972, when I was studying for my professional degree. I wrote articles, stories, poems and even plays. All what I wrote was not purely out of imagination. The realities of life that I was involved in, by chance or through my well thought of actions, had been the subject matter of my writing. The important thing about what I wrote till about 1972 was that I was always there in what I wrote then, sometimes in a passive role as a viewer, but more often as a participant of the happenings depicted in my writings. In other words, my ‘self’, with its desires, aspirations, commitments, compassions and ego was very much there in my writings then. Others appreciated what I wrote then, but barring a very few poems and articles I was not much satisfied with what I wrote. I always felt that I had been interfering with the basic idea, theme, narration or the plot of what I had written. At that young age, I had not experienced the life sufficiently enough. I had no clue about how one can temporarily detach oneself from the happenings of the world around to be able to view things as they should be, clearly  differentiating between the illusions and realities. I had no experience that, in fact, an author is not as involved with his writings as any individual is with many other things in his life. I had not learned, then, that it was relatively easy for an author to reasonably detach himself from his creation.  The authors who write about their own experiences, feelings, emotional turbulence and feeling do not need detaching themselves much with their creation, they should be empathizing  with the characters they create and should be able to ‘relive’ the happenings. I knew that I had never been an author much of that type. I wanted to explore things that caused pain and preferred to think about how the pain could be avoided.  Throughout my life I could not keep my mind away from the man, his strengths, weaknesses, vulnerabilities, aspirations, inquiries, inadequacies, pleasures and pains. I even thought about if it was all that important to view one’s pains as pains. At times, I felt that if one could think beyond his own physical existence, he might enter into the little known territory of the ‘the Great Unknown’, that is, the God or the unexplored consciousness that explains everything that need an explanation.

When one gathers from others what they know by reading their books; and, he leads his life and experiments with it to know more; he may develop an urge to review all that he has learned and to arrange his knowledge in an orderly manner for sharpening his own understanding. The most suitable method to do this, is writing. Writing becomes a compulsion, at least, for a few. The one who is compelled to write to set at rest his mental turbulence and to remove his confusions, invariably, becomes his own reader. How the external world responds and reacts to his writings, that may help him; but, that aspect of his authorship may not be essential. Reading, conducting sincerely with a purpose in mind and for the benefit of many,  experiencing, experimenting, reviewing one’s thoughts and conduct and endeavouring  to create an order form all that is definitely an effective spiritual process for all those who feel its need, the honest inclination and the ability to do it.

I am grateful to the many that helped me to take up that kind of journey in my own humble way. I narrate this to share it with others.

PROMOD KUMAR SHARMA
[The writer of this blog is also the author of “Mahatma A Scientist of the Intuitively Obvious” and “In Search of Our Wonderful Words”.]




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Blogger Widgets