Saturday 7 November 2015

THE STORIES WE CREATE AND PASS ON

Leave a Comment

I vividly remember most of the stories that were told to me in my childhood and believed them to be true. I may have some doubts about the occurrences narrated and the exactitude of the portrayal of the characters in those stories, but I have no doubt about what they tell about life.


Having received many stories from my parents, grandparents and teachers in my childhood, I like to return many stories to my world, being extremely cautious that I do not tell imaginary stories. I tell true stories that I could gather in my life knowing full well that the children of today do not easily believe. But, I feel myself to be a square peg in a round hole when I find that the generation next does not like to believe the true stories. They say, “This does not happen”.  And, I have no means to prove that they are not right.

My young friends do not dislike me, but they do not like the stories I have to offer. The characters of the stories I remember and try to emulate, real or imaginary, could not accommodate untruth. These are the times when such characters do not make interesting stories. These are the days when the characters that are in popular demand have to be real, but what they seek must be fanciful with no touch with dutiful reality.

The stories we make, tell others or leave behind us have to be sourced from the mirror inside us that we use for introspection. When we use too many external mirrors, we can’t make stories that are live and full of life.

The stories we are capable of creating and passing on to the generation next can transmit the image of the future that we can dream of. Stories are the most effective educational tool whose potential our ancestors had realized in full, but we know little about.

PROMOD KUMAR SHARMA

[The writer of this blog is also the author of “Mahatma A Scientist of the Intuitively Obvious” and “In Search of Our Wonderful Words”.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Blogger Widgets